Sunday, December 31, 2006

Goodbye 2006 - Hello 2007

At this point in the year, at the end many people talk about how lousy the outgoing year was and how they hope the incoming year will be so much better. Truthfully, I really can't complain about this year we are about to leave behind. 2006 was pretty good to us.

Sue has already mentioned many of the same things I will refer to, but what can I say. I read her blog last night, and noted that she has the same idea I had for tonights blog. What can I say. great minds think alike. ( Of course this begs the question as I'm a man, what mind...)

As Sue has mentioned, 2006 was the first full year Sandy has spent with us. It was also the first summer visit we have had with Tara and Elisa for quite some time. We got our first car that Sue and I have owned together, and we bought our first home. All in all a pretty good year.

In November, our first car, a 1989 Ford Crown Victoria we named "Vicki" died on us. However, thanks to our wonderfully generous Church Family we are now the owners of a 2000 Dodge Intrepid we have named "Doddi". So even the negative things have had a positive outcome.

In the world around us, the war in Iraq continues, although Saddam Hussein has been hanged in a move that surprised many and outraged others... I hope I am wrong, but personally I fear the backlash may be more than we bargained for. When you consider the execution came on the eve of Eid the festival that signals the end of Ramadan, a high Muslim religious event, it is not surprising that the soldiers on the ground are on High Alert.

We also lost several notable people this year. Most recently President Gerald Ford, and The Godfather of Soul, James Brown. Others who passed away this year were Steve Irwin, the Famed Crocodile Hunter, M*A*S*H* and Nashville Director Robert Altman, Character Actress and Academy Award Winner Shelly Winters, Funnyman Don Knotts, Character Actor Darrin McGavin, TV Star Dennis Weaver, among many others whom we will miss.

Some things in this world are better, some are worse. We need to trust God that what happens to us is within his plan for us. I gave up the idea of making resolutions many years ago. I do however plan to continue to love God, and to attempt to be a good example of what a Christian is to those around me. My wish for 2007 is that all who read these words find the peace and calm that I have. I have much to be thankful as we put 2006 behind us. I have a lot to learn also. I also need to continue to trust God, and learn to recognize what it is He wants me to do. May God bless you and keep you in 2007, and in the years to come. Happy New Year!

No comments: